Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Validated And It Feels So Good

So last night I finally got around to seeing Bridesmaids. It was only five dollars, so i figured sure why not. After all the press it got I was borderline worried that I would end up liking it and then feel mad awkward for writing that hateful post about it before it came out, but luckily I can safely say SHIT STUNK. HARD.

Yay!

So the press was essentially making this film out to be a female-centered comedy that, brace yourselves here, EVEN MEN WILL LIKE.

With this dumb as fuck mentality in mind I went into it thinking it would be nothing like the standard Hollywood "chick flick", but in the end it ended up being just that. Seriously, it held onto all the women-centered stereotypes like Kristen Wiig being a cake baker. The majority of what these women did end up talking about was relationship/marriage problems. And also, this movie was way too long and had too much Kristen Wiig in it (she had a great moment when she was fucked up on the airplane though).

Pretty much, i'm glad I hated on this movie before seeing it, and am even more underwhelmed than I thought I would be. For being an Apatow backed production, I was expecting to see more of that good old "male humor" all you media fucks like to talk about and claim to be real humor, and in the end only got a romantic comedy that could have just as easily been a Kate Hudson flick full of cliched "for women" jokes and stereotyped tropes.

I am left even more confused. Why was the media all about this film being "groundbreaking"? I think for an all female-starring comedy to truly be groundbreaking it has to defy stereotyped notions of what it is women are, and talk about. Take the women away from career paths such as bakery owner, housewife, or some sales executive who is a total bitch in order to prove she's just as "tough as the guys". Make less conversation about relationships, and more conversation about other things. You know like politics, life, religion, etc. Seriously, Hollywood comedy writer bros, talking about these things can still be fucking funny, i promise! Also can the whole point of the film not be about finding love, or getting married? This would make for a truly interesting and groundbreaking film for women.

I can't think of any comedies that have these elements and star a majority of women, but as soon as I find one I will let you know. If you know of one, please tell me. I want to see it, badly.

Alright i'll admit, this is a little funny:

No comments:

Post a Comment